History of Liliw


           In a manuscript written by Juan Masulong, a son of Gat Tayaw, the founder of the town, which was found in the Spanish Archives in Spain by Dr. Gregorio C. Borlaza, a noted historian and educator from Liliw, it was recounted that when the Spaniards arrived in Bay, Laguna in 1571, Juan Masulong, together with other notables from the neighboring communities went to Bay, he was baptized by Fr. Martin de Rada of Augustinian Order.  Thus, Juan Masulong was the first native of Liliw to become a Christian.  He told the Spaniards that he came from the flourishing, developed and organized community situated at the Mount Banahaw.  Three days after his baptism, Masulong was told by the Spaniards to retum to Liliw and tell the people to gather and meet them peacefully.


        Although all the natives were baptized during the early part of the Spanish regime, the town did not have permanent parish.  From 1578 – 1605, the people had to go to Nagcarlan every Sunday and during feast of different saints to attend to their religious obligations.  Because of this inconvenience, the people petitioned the Father Provincial, Fr. Hernando de Morga, to assign a priest and make Liliw a permanent parish.  The petition was granted and assigned Fr. Miguel de San Juan. From then on, Liliw became a regular parish under the patronage of St. John the Baptist.  In 1612, during the term of Padre Kalenton as Kapitan Municipal, the construction of wooden church was started. The foundation of the concrete church was laid down during the term of Antonio Kohaguit in 1635.  In 1639 the adjacent convent was build when Francisco Camera de Maide de Dios was the parish priest.  In 1898, the church was badly damage by fire but it was been restored immediately.


        In 1896, wearied by the oppressive rule of the Spaniards, the Filipinos revolted.  Many natives of the town joined the Katipunan.  Later on, after the surrender of the Spanish forces to the Americans, a number of the surviving Katipuneros joined Philippine Army to fought against the Americans.  One of the highlights of the town’s history during this period was the visit of  Governor General William Howard Taft that happened in 1903.  As an added attraction, a bamboo tower called torre ippel was constructed in front of the town hall. The name of the the town “Lilio”, that derived from the humming sound of a bird “ilio –ilio” who hummed the word “iliw iliw iliw” has been approved. And on June 11, 1965, the name “Lilio” was changed to “Liliw” under Municipal Resolution No. 38 and approved by the Provincial Board under Resolution No. 1096-S-1965.